This is a nice politically incorrect list of comments and questions to my essay entitled: “Organic Food and Red Herrings.” It was sent by a reader named “Bruce.” I think it’s a nice summary that deserves its own page. I will give equal time to the other side if it manifests itself.
1 Are organic foods more nutritious? Not yet clear if they are.
2. Are organic foods safer? Organic and non organic foods do not exceed government safety thresholds.
Source: Mayo Clinic
Now for pure opinion:
1. The hormones fed to animals seem to have increased the size of women’s breasts over the years which is not a bad thing. Personal unscientifically tested observation here.
2. I have been tricked into buying organic milk at The Fresh Market since it looks just like the regular stuff unless you notice the price. Wow, $5 for a gallon of 2%?
3. Using “natural” fertilizer (manure) can expose us to e coli bacteria.
4. Without chemicals and genetically enhanced foods, there would be a major loss of production. This would lead to starvation, especially where people are currently struggling to survive. Guess it’s better people starve than evil capitalist pig 1%er fertilizer companies like Monsanto make obscene profits.
5. The people selling “organics” look scraggly and under-nourished to me. Maybe it’s the German leather dye in the Birkenstocks. Some of the women might look fine if you just got a couple of burgers in them.for a while.
6. If not for genetic engineering, chemical fertilizers and hybridization, marijuana would not be nearly as potent as it is today. I don’t use due to my job, but have it on good authority that you don’t have to work nearly as hard as before.
7. I’ve heard that if you cut a tomato in half and tell a person one was grown organically and one was not, they will rate the half organically grown to be better tasting. Might all just be psychological.
8. If all food is not organic, then what is inorganic food? What does it look like?
9. There are so many other things that people can do to promote good health and most people choose not to do them. This provides First Lady Michele Obama an opportunity to exercise her do as I say, not as I do hypocrisy when it comes to those White House French fries.
10. The government encourages this debate since it justifies expanding bureaucracy to study, evaluate and regulate which is what they do best.
11. Organic food feeds the need a certain element in our population has to feel superior. It’s the same thing as driving a Prius hybrid, expensive but perfectly in concert with the smug “why does it seem I’m the only one who cares” look.
12. I do grow a lot of my own produce and always have. It’s one of the things I enjoyed doing with my dad and I just carried on the tradition. I use Miracle Grow fertilizer and Seven Dust and they taste great. Vine ripened Beefsteak tomatoes always do. I wash them off in the sink before eating them. It’s not because I want to save the earth, it’s because it’s fun to watch things grow.