- Attempts to impose rule from above.
- Government control of large business and manufacturing organizations.
- Quasi-religious cult of personality.
- Initiatives to muffle the opposition.
- Denial of moral legitimacy to opponents.
- Reliance on goons to intimidate adversaries.
- Use – under various names – of the doctrine of the false consciousness of ordinary citizens to explain away adverse events.
Note: I posted a longish essay explaining fascism in some detail on this blog in the past. See, “Fascism Explained,” May 27th 2009.